In this edition of RSP Remix, we go deep into our archives to explore the insider/outsider problem in the study of religion. We explore questions such as “What is an ‘insider’ or ‘outsider’?” and “How do scholars of religion study and engage ‘insiders’?” to begin unpacking what all is at stake in this process of group formation.
This episode features clips from the following episodes:
- “The Insider/Outsider Problem” with George Chryssides (2012)
- “Should Scholars of Religion be Critics or Caretakers?” roundtable with excerpts from Russell T. McCutcheon and Linda Woodhead (2012)
- “Identity or Identification?” roundtable with excerpts from Steven Ramey and K. Merinda Simmons (2013)
- “The Critical Study of Religion” with Bruce Lincoln (2015)
- “Categorising ‘Religion’: From Case Studies to Methodology” with Teemu Taira (2016)
- “Discourse Analysis & Ideology Critique in the Study of Religion” with Craig Martin (2021)