Something which is becoming increasingly important for early career researchers is developing a publishing strategy. This event should be of relevance… for more information, please see the ESA website.
European Sociological Association PhD Summer School 2012:
Doing Research in the Midst of Social Change – Developing a publishing strategy
Lisbon, FCSH-UNL, 22-26 July 2012
Call for applications from PhD students
The skill of article writing is however not always part of PhD training. Moreover, there are diverse myths on what makes a good manuscript and how to internationalize one’s research in a meaningful way.
This ESA Summer School will:
- Provide a platform for learning about publishing in scientific journals
- Reflect on doing research in the midst of social change.
- Give PhD students the opportunity to attend lectures delivered by ESA Executive Committee members and participate in seminar groups organized around the presentation of their own papers.
The Summer School is co-organized by the Universidade Nova de Lisboa (New University of Lisbon-FCSH) and the ESA and will take place in Lisbon.
ESA will cover all costs for the Summer School including accommodation and all meals. Students will need to cover most of the costs of their own travel to Lisbon (ESA will contribute a maximum of 100 Euros to each student towards their travel costs). Students must bring their own computers.
Who is eligible:
- PhD students working on an article manuscript in progress. This can be a manuscript in i) the final stage before initial submission to a journal, ii) post peer review, or iii) at the final editing stage.
- Candidates must already be or become an ESA member for the application to be considered (for more information, visit ESA membership webpage: http://www.europeansociology.org/member/).
- There are 24 student places on the course. The main selection criterion is the quality of the application. Yet diversity in terms of gender, university, country of study and sociological themes will be taken into account.
- The selected students will be required to send their manuscript in progress (in English) by July 2nd 2012, so it can be circulated among the teachers and the other students.
- The list of participants will be announced by the end of April 2012. For further information email Luís Baptista, Director of the ESA Summer School 2012, email@example.com
How to apply:
- The deadline for applications is February 27th 2012.
- Applications must include information about the student and the research/article manuscript, according to the application form, and applicant’s CV (Curriculum Vitae).
- Applications must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org